Monday, December 18, 2017

Have yourself a merry Xanax Christmas



We get two newspapers delivered to our home.  In case any Millenials are reading, I should explain that a "newspaper" is a non-digital medium for conveying news, human interest stories, obituaries and other items thought to interest the public.  The medium itself is a wood pulp product called "paper".  Newspapers were mainstream media a century or so ago, back in the olden days when people reasonably expected to pay a small amount of money for their newsfeeds, and journalists had both "professional standards" and "editors" to ensure that what was published was verifiably true rather than beholden to some profitability scheme or political stratagem.  A shrinking number of newspapers continue to be delivered to subscribers' homes once per day, kind of like when the UPS truck brings you the stuff you ordered from Amazon.





Sorry for that digression. One of those newspapers that plops onto the end of our driveway every morning is our local suburban newspaper, which I suppose would be considered a mid-size paper; it's on this top-100 circulation list, although not in the upper half.  It employs some reporters (fewer every year, I think), a good chunk of whom seem to be in the sports department.  The remaining content of the daily paper is filled out with material off of the AP wire (or however AP content gets delivered these days), as well as some content from some of its "alliance partners" or some such, which include the Chicago Sun-Times, the Washington Post and perhaps others.

The other newspaper we get is is the Chicago Tribune, which is in the top 10 of that circulation list I linked to in the previous paragraph.  The Tribune is still what I would expect newspaper aficionados would think of as a "real newspaper", although I am sure it is subject to the same market pressures that have killed off a ton of newspapers while, it seems to me, endangering the entire profession of journalism, to the detriment of our local communities and the Republic.  I have occasion from time to time, because of ministry things I do, about which I may post some time in the future, to talk with reporters in the local media.  And I can tell you that the archetype of the hard-boiled newspaper reporter, the guy or gal who has heard it all before, who checks it out before believing that her mother loves her, like those guys playing cards in the press room in "His Girl Friday", doesn't exist anymore at most of the news outlets around here.  Except the Chicago Tribune, and some of the larger television stations.  And even those ones aren't really hard boiled eggs; they're all polished and presentable, which I suppose is a requirement when even a print reporter may have to make a video of himself reporting the news to put up on the website.  But the other outlets are sending out reporters who are either fresh out of college, or (I wouldn't put this past corporations) low-paid or unpaid college interns.

Sorry, digressing again.  Depending on who is away at college or off doing other stuff in their lives, there are anywhere from three to six reasonably literate and curious persons in our household at any given time, with my wife and I comprising the older generation.  So it's a worrisome and disappointing thing to me that, in spite of an entire lifetime in this household of my wife and I setting the example of being regular newspaper readers, none of our kids reads newspapers.  Nothing - the comics, the Sudoku, the horoscopes - nothing about newspapers attracts them.  Kind of like church.  There are a lot of things changing in our society, and I fear some of them are not for the best, but which I'm more or less at a loss to explain.

Ok - striving to stay on topic here.  Two newspapers arrive daily, and two newspaper readers live here, so it has fallen out that I start with the local suburban newspaper each day, and my wife gets the Tribune.  She takes it into the office on days when she goes into the office, whereas I work from home every day, not having an office to go into (I am employed, but the idea that the people who work together all live in the same local area and congregate in a common workplace is yet another charming notion of the past, of a piece with buggy whips, newspapers and churches), so there are some days when I don't see the Tribune around the house.  When I do have time to look at it, I usually glance through the front section (if you're a Millenial and need an explanation for the concept of a "Section", leave a comment).

And so, finally, here is where I'm going with this.  The Chicago Tribune employs a columnist by the name of Mary Schmich.  And man oh man, can she write.  Because I don't see her newspaper every day, I don't come across her that often, but when I do, I can only say that she has yet to write anything that hasn't held my attention.  And if you don't think that's high praise for a newspaper columnist, I invite you to get to know my attention span better.

Schmich has written at least one well-known column.  About 20 years ago, she wrote this imaginary graduation speech.  To the extent that things were able to go viral in 1997, this one reportedly went viral - but at least in part because, in going viral, it was misattributed to Kurt Vonnegut. Schmich has written, interestingly, about that experience as well.

She wrote something that appeared in today's paper that I'd like to share with you.  But now that I've come all this way on this post, and am only now coming around to the point of it, I am only now remembering that Tribune content on the web may be behind a subscriber wall.  I hope this content is available to you somehow.

Point drawing closer now: Schmich's column that caught my interest earlier today is here, in case it's accessible to you.  It's about the well-known holiday-season song, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".  If you've ever attended to the song's lyrics as commonly sung, you know that, even on its own merits, it's not completely treacly.  There is a sort of wistful, things-may-get-better-next-year quality to it.  And if you've ever seen the old film "Meet me in St. Louis", for which the song was written, and understand the context of the plot in which Judy Garland (who was a *great* singer) sings it to young Margaret O'Brien, you realize that it was written for a situation in which hearts are about to break - not only because of romance, but also because the stability of a family is so fragile and vulnerable.   Fathers uproot families and move them to another city.  Kids grow up and leave the nest.  Sons go off to war and get shot up or blown to bits.  Parents divorce.  Mental illness sets in.  Someone has a health problem and the family goes broke.  There are a thousand ways that a stable, loving family can slip away from us.  If you tell me that "Meet Me in St. Louis" is a treacly-nostalgic movie, I won't dispute it, but I'll also argue that it has a heart.

Schmich's column reports that, as we often hear it sung today, the song is quite altered from its original conception.  One line that appears in many recordings, "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough", which frequently is seized upon and belted out by today's power balladeers as though it's the emotional core of the whole piece, wasn't even in the film; Schmich notes that Frank Sinatra considered Garland's version too dark and depressing for the presumably-treacly Christmas record he was recording, so he insisted that the line, "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow" be rewritten.

But Schmich writes that even the lyrics that were sung in the Garland film had been sanitized from the original provided by the lyricist, Hugh Martin.  That version opened:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas / It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past
This was in 1944.  The country was at war, and even though by then it was going well, the casualties were high, and surely it was taking a toll on the psyches of Americans.  It isn't difficult to imagine that the world's events cast a shadow, and somehow that cloud may have crept into Martin's lyric (this is my speculation, not Schmich's).  Garland thought it was too dark and asked that it be altered.

I suspect Garland's instincts were right in this instance.  But we may ask, why did those instincts lead her from depression to hope?  She must have intuited something about the American public during a difficult period.  Perhaps that's not surprising; by 1944 she was a money box office draw, and may have known how to read the pulse of the movie-going/record-buying/sheet-music-purchasing public.

All of these factors: music, treacle, family, nostalgia, and perhaps clouds and depression, are part of the amalgam that makes for our understanding of the Christmas holiday.  It's a time to be with family, but being with a family can be complicated.  It is complicated for our family when we get together with the relatives.  It's something we look forward to, but there is also an element of getting through it.

And somewhere, buried beneath all these layers of emotion and family history and popular culture, is the longing for security and stability in a world in which the ground seems to be shifting under our feet, every day a new earthquake or aftershock, with the end of it difficult to foresee.  This is the world into which we welcome the Christ child.  Maybe he is hope we can latch onto.


56 comments:

  1. 'All of these factors: music, treacle, family, nostalgia, and perhaps clouds and depression, are part of the amalgam that makes for our understanding of the Christmas holiday." Our understanding of the holiday, yeah, but not of Christmas. You can roll all of that together and have a perfectly good Winter Solstice celebration.

    I mean, if it weren't for Tiny Tim, there's be no reference to Jesus, man or baby, even in "A Christmas Carol." And even he gets to it through the poor and the crippled (as we used to say).

    Not that I am against seasonal treacle. If we are to have treacle, and human nature seems to demand it, what better time than at the Winter Solstice, when fruitcake is inflicted on us, too? But as for Christmas itself -- which begins on Dec. 24 not on Thanksgiving -- I am strictly a "Keep Adeste Fidelis in Christmas and out of Advent" kind of guy, and leave the elevator music for people trying to cope with the movement of the sun.

    "A cold coming we had of it," quoth the Magi. "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" quoth the dislocated Californians. The Magi were going to the Birth -- or was it a death? "There was a birth, certainly." The White Christmas people were sitting around the pool remembering their (or someone else's) childhoods and forgetting about icy slush in their boots.

    Isn't it odd that there is not a profusion of Summer Solstice songs? Once you get past "Summertime," which is too tough for three-chord guitar payers, you have nothing. I guess, as Mame sang in October after the Wall Street crash, "we need a little Christmas" each winter as the year grows older. But that's about our little hearts, not about our salvation.

    A note on the wonderfully discursive way you got us here: Our five children were fed by newspapers, clothed by newspapers, sent to school by newspapers and had their Christmases paid for by newspapers, but only one of them gets a daily paper delivered. And he is an alderman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom - yes, without the Birth, there are a lot of things about Christmas in our culture that are pretty much indistinguishable from Thanksgiving. Same family, same turkey, same day off from work. More presents, less football, that's about it.

      Delete
    2. Jim, Consider yourself lucky with the same turkey. One of my non-newspaper-reading offspring is happy to cook vegan for all at Christmas. We are beyond tofurky into something called field roast that, with gravy, isn't half bad.

      Delete
    3. Field roast? Sounds awful, Tom. I can't help but imagine a few square feet of front lawn turf dug up and put in the oven at 450°F for two hours. I eat vegan when I can but you have to be a really good cook to make it enjoyable. I am not a good cook. I like Hindu food but that's vegetarian.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read a newspaper in like 30 years. I used to work the graveyard shift at the hospital and on Friday take the bus to downtown on my way home and stop to eat a bagel with cream cheese and read the movie section of the paper. Now I just look online :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal - I'm just curious, to you have to be a subscriber to look online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To look at the Chicago Tribune? No, you can read stories from them. I go here to the Google news page. You can tell them what kind of news sources you like and there are lots of others. I mostly see stuff from the NTY, Washington Post, NPR, PBS, The Atlantic, LA Times, MSNBC, ABC?NBC?CBS, the Guardian, the Daily Beast, etc. It's free, though some places like the NYT only let you read a certain number of stories a month.

      Delete
  4. Christmas 2017 will be different as it takes place at the end of a really tough year personally and, of course, nationally. My life is different now. I'm a caregiver 90% of the time which killed off my consulting and the pleasant social interaction that went with it. I still get out a couple hours sometimes to attend a dance, but I can't shoot off somewhere at will. But, thankfully, I have no financial worries. That can be accredited to the many times I wanted a Corvette or a 280-Z and bought a Nova instead. And the CSRS pension is gold. So, I can't whine too much. I can't imagine how people are in this situation with financial worries on top of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stanley - I am picturing a roll of sod, taken out of the back of the pickup and put right into a roasting pan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, I feel bad for liking this song now. It reminds me of the people I used to see at Christmas who are dead, and whom I hope the bonds of love in Christ allow me to see again.

    Just generally speaking, I am sick and tired of the parish Church ladies telling everyone how they're celebrating Christmas WRONG. This starts at cofdee hour every first Sunday of Advent. They are freaking out about people putting up creches and trees too early, not taking enough time for Advent, people spending too much on the holidays, people smooshing Yule and Christmas traditions, people purchasing religiously incorrect cards.

    Yeesh. Pass the Xanax and rid me of these scolds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, go right ahead and like the song. I like it, too. Stuff that makes us feel good at Christmas? Bring it on! I am pretty successful at tuning out Christmas scolds. Lalala, talk to the hand. I think God wants us to enjoy celebrating his Son's birth, and doesn't mind if some secular and ye old yuletide stuff gets mixed in. It's a good time for memories, too. Tonight I'm going to make my mom's gumdrop bars, and great grandma's cream candy, and send some to a fami!y member who could use some cheering up. We observe Advent, but also do things like drive around town looking at the pretty lights. I love the lights. In a way they remind us of the Light of the World. I didnt get my tree up until last night. I'm not being liturgically correct, just lazy and disorganized. I'll probably leave it up until the Baptism of the Lord. Again, lazy. And I like looking at it.

      Delete
    2. Being somewhat sarcastic. Christmas was always a hard time when I was a kid, and my preferences about how to celebrate it have become pretty set. Age and infirmity have forced me to ditch the parts that seem empty to me. I draw the line at "Santa Baby."

      Delete
  7. Jim, we have subscribed to the Washington Post for 45 years - it's in the driveway every day. The local free weekly "advertiser" that focused on local issues died last year. It was decent - it was owned by the WaPo, but as they cut back, it got dropped. (the Post really just focuses on national and international pretty much with a smattering of local- DC is a company town and the government is the company) This year, in support of the fake news media, I took out a digital subscription to the NY Times. I also get a daily email from The Times (London) which links to the "most important" stories, but I can only read two/week without subscribing. Or reading more stories away from home. Starbucks and the library don't have the same IP address. I also get a google news feed. Google lets you select the areas of interest, and it also lets you select the sources you want to see mostly, but it picks the "Top Stories" section and also slips in articles here and there from random sites. Generally, the newspaper sites (Boston Globe, LA Times etc) permit a selected number of free views each week or month. Sometimes they demand an email address which they call "registering". I have an email address I use exclusively for websites that demand an email address so they won't bury real email in the spam from them.

    So, will there be newspapers in the future? I think eventually there will be the NYTimes National Edition and maybe a couple of others - WaPo, Chicago, LA, Boston.

    In the meantime, there are still eager young journalists to be out there, I wonder where this lot will end up - "christian" news sites? Brietbart? Fox? I can't imagine what a shock it would be to them to end up at a real news publication - one that requires fact checks for example.

    Let me know if you can't access the story.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/12/08/at-liberty-university-some-see-fake-news-some-want-to-become-journalists/?utm_term=.c45ed40307f6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I think your longevity with the WaPo is great. We would be 30+ years straight with the Tribune by now, except that there was a period where their delivery service was so awful that we felt we couldn't continue to subscribe to it in good conscience - we were paying for newspapers that weren't arriving, and reporting a missing paper did no good. Eventually, they lured us back with a discounted subscription rate.

      Needless to say, the days of the tousle-headed kid on the bicycle tossing newspapers onto the front porch as he coasts down the sidewalk are long gone - that would be as odd these days as a neighborhood kid cutting your lawn. The newspapers around here contract with delivery services who employ adult persons, mostly of ambiguous citizenship (which is fine by me) who do a pretty decent job of getting the paper to us at a predictable time, all year long. A couple of weeks ago, each of them (for the two papers) inserted into the plastic wrapper a genericky Christmas card which is a (very) thinly veiled solicitation for a tip. We'll send them a check of some sort this year.

      Delete
  8. Jean, so, so true about the church ladies and other Advent grinches. God forbid we should put up the tree before Christmas Eve, not to mention the creche.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christmas for me now is so different than it was when I was a kid. I exchange cards with just a few people. I only gift my sister and my brother-in-law and their cat, Shadow. The celebration is my sister and I going to Whole Foods for coffee and a snack, where we open our presents. She's vegan and I'm vegetarian, so no turkey. Maybe pumpkin pie, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good to me! My mother is having a hard time adjusting to our insistence on paring "the holidays" down to a nice afternoon of coffee and pecan pie.

      Delete
  10. Well, I continue to put the tree up right after Thanksgiving because I was afraid the people I was putting it up for might not make it to Christmas. When it's just me, they can email me the 1MB rulebook in pdf format.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never been a newspaper person, just like I've never been a TV person. Get all the news that I need on the weather report. I save the reading for books and journal articles.

    I did once for a year get the Wall Street Journal as the student price since I was taking an economics course. I was mainly curious to see the world through eyes of those who read the WSJ. It was right before the WSJ was bought by Murdock. I don't think I would have continued it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I take the time to celebrate Advent, and usually even begin it early like the Orthodox (they have a 40 day Advent) and some other parts of the West did, e.g. Advent was six weeks in Milan among others.

    However I do celebrate Christmas for a long time, out to at least February 2nd (Candlemas). I keep my Christmas decorations on my porch until sometime in February or even March when Lent is late.

    When the Lake freezes in January we begin to get a lot of sunny days (no Lake effect snow or clouds). The porch faces the SW so it is great to sit out there with all the sun reflecting off the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try the Guardian! It's free. Every now and again a message pops-up saying so and asking for whatever you want to contribute. Currently I am following the Brexit scramble. Their U.S. news is pretty much like ours. Trumpelstiltskin. And then, there's the mystery of PM Teresa May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy - isn't the mystery, How has she managed to stay in office this long? I thought, after that last election debacle, her hours were numbered.

      I expect you get lots of coverage on Prince What's-His-Name and the former Deal Or No Deal model he's marrying?

      Delete
    2. There is no replacement for Teresa May among the Tories though I think many of them would like her to go. They too are divided over Brexit, if they pull the plug on her (so to speak) and call an Election, Labor is like to win....and I think..(but what do I know)there's a good chance the Brexit referendum would be run again..and at least as of now, polls suggest it would lose by about the same narrow margin that it won in June 2016. Either way, it's the end of Britain as we've known it. So then, the Chinese can have Australia!!

      Prince and Princess to be...after the announcement disappeared from the Guardian, though the NYTimes keeps paying attention. Why? I don't know. Perhaps some atavistic link to being named new YORK!

      Delete
    3. Yes, somebody ought to start a thread on the mystery of Teresa May. It makes me a little antsy that even major media like NPR seem to think it's possible to cover Brexit by reporting what the British are hollering at each other about it, and ignoring what the Europeans say.

      Delete
  14. Speaking of newspapers and kids delivering them: growing up, I lived in smallish towns that were still large enough, in those days, to have their own newspapers. But those were afternoon papers. A middle school kid could get out of school, do a paper route and still have time for homework or baseball. This would have been in the 1970s; by then, I'm sure afternoon papers were a dying or dead breed in the major metropolitan areas.

    But with everything delivered electronically and instantly now anyway, I don't see why it would matter very much if the morning papers reverted to afternoon delivery for the print edition. I expect it would allow the folks in production to work normal work hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people who read the electronic versions of newspapers still count as newspaper readers. We recently switched to the online version of our local paper.It is about a third of the cost of the print. Visually, on the computer screen, it looks pretty much like the print one. I have been getting the paper version of the Omaha World Herald, the regional daily in these parts. In 2018 we plan to switch to the digital version. The reason being a large price increase for the print version, and the nuisance of keeping up with the paper clutter caused by a daily paper. Both papers have some free content, but to get the full version you have to subscribe. And I don't mind, I want them to stay in business. The WH is a responsible, balanced news source, which seems to be an endangered species lately.
      I still need newspapers from time to time to peel potatoes on or put under the cat litter box. But there is a freebie shopper that gets put in everybody's mailbox, so that's covered.

      Delete
    2. Talking of kids with paper routes, that does not bring back good memories. Our older son had a paper route for awhile. Guess who were the backups if he wasn't feeling well, or had a school activity conflict. Mom and Dad weren't nearly as good as the kid was at finding all his customers' addresses and knowing where everyone liked their paper to be put.
      We weren't at all sad when he decided he didn't want to do it any more

      Delete
    3. "We recently switched to the online version of our local paper.It is about a third of the cost of the print."

      Katherine - we have done that at various times with some magazine subscriptions (including Commonweal for a time). I find that I don't read nearly as much of it if it's electronic. I don't know why that is, but I'm less likely to browse through the content if it's electronic.

      Delete
    4. Jim, I know, there's something more satisfying about having the actual paper in front of you. We'll see how the electronic version works out. I'm hoping I can train myself to like it and make full use of it. I still prefer print books if I have the option. Though it is nice to check things out of the library on my tablet, I don't have to worry about getting them back on time. I read Lauds from Universalis online most of the time now for convenience sake. But the other day it didn't come on for some reason, so I was reading from the prayer book. I caught myself trying to do the touch screen thing and make the print bigger. Doesn't work!

      Delete
    5. Katherine - that is hilarious :-). I have an app on my smart phone called DivineOffice that presents the "official" texts for Liturgy of the Hours. It's handy when the particular hour rolls around, I have some downtime, but am in a place where I don't have a book. Generally, an airport. Sometimes when I'm waiting for my son to emerge from band practice. The app is pretty good, but my issue with those things is that there are days in which we have options, e.g. whether or not to celebrate an optional memorial. The DivineOffice app seems to never present the texts for the saint if its optional :-(

      Delete
    6. Jim, does your app use the Grail Psalms? That's one thing I miss when I use Universalis. I guess there is some kind of copyright infringement if Universalis used them.

      Delete
    7. Katherine - yes, it uses the same translations that appear in the official liturgical books. Is that Grail for the psalms? Or maybe Grail for the antiphons? Sorry, too lazy to go get my book, it's in the other room. Oh, wait, I have an app, half a minute ... hmm, the app just credits ICEL. I think it's considerably more complicated than that. Now I'm going to go grab the book.

      Okay, here is the skinny: the readings and the canticles are from the NAB (1970 edition). The psalm texts are by The Grail. The Magnificat, the Benedictus, the Doxologies (which I don't actually care for) and a couple of other prayers are from ICET. The Our Father isn't separately credited but may be from the Book of Common Prayer (according to Wikipedia, the 1928 edition).

      Here's the thing, though: the antiphons clearly are a different translation than the psalm texts themselves. But I don't see the antiphons credited on the copyright page of my Christian Prayer book. I believe the antiphons are by ICEL.

      Oh well ... the app I use is called DivineOffice. If you go to the Play Store or whatever the Apple equivalent is, I bet you'd find it. It's not a freebie, though: it was $25. I bought it when I saw it recommended a few years ago on the PrayTell site. I'm pretty happy with it.

      Delete
    8. Thanks Jim. I may check out that option. Another thing I notice is that the site I'm using doesn't have the Psalm prayers after the antiphon, which I think are kind of nice. Not to mention their versions of the Benedictus and Magnificat are tooth grindingly awkward. But I have committed those to memory anyway.

      Delete
    9. Yep, this DivineOffice app does have the psalm prayers. I think those are kind of an English-language Catholic thing, because the Spanish edition of the LotH that I've seen doesn't have them, either. I think they were composed by ICEL.

      Delete
  15. I know millenials, a few, who are into vinyl records and vacuum tube amplifiers so maybe some will revert to print. Of course, these guys are fizzycysts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Margaret, I too read the Guardian. So far I haven't sent them a contribution, and feel a bit guilty about it.

    I keep up with the Brexit debacle because misery loves company.

    Stanley, since the millenials have embraced "vinyl", maybe they really will embrace paper at some point too. Maybe printed books instead of kindle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just send a small contribution to keep them going.

      Reading stories in print is far superior to on-line reading. I read the paper NYTimes in the morning and check on-line...really it's all pixels!

      Delete
    2. I agree. We used to get the Sunday NYT delivered, which would last us all week. However, delivery service to rural Michigan is dicey. Easier and cheaper to drive to Lansing and buy it at the newsstand/cafe/bookstore.

      Delete
    3. Well, Anne, one of them likes Japanese Manga graphic novels printed on paper and bound so I guess that's something.

      Delete
    4. Margaret, you have shamed me into it (a contribution)! I do want to keep them going, along with other "mainstream" media.

      I use my tablet to download library books, especially when I am flying - a lot of long plane trips in the last few years. For news, I also prefer paging through the newspaper than reading online - far more stories jump out at me. Going through the websites can be very tedious. One of my sons (who works in Silicon Valley!) told me when visiting and reading our newspaper, that he hadn't realized how much he missed in the world news by depending solely on his custom online newsfeed.

      Stanley, you stumped me. Had to look up Japanese Manga graphic novels. Oh dear.

      Delete
  17. I still say, "Keep pa rum pum pum pum" in Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, one of my contankerous fellow retirees says he says "Happy Holidays" to his Christian friends and "Merry Christmas" to his atheist friends.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! I'm going to try that!

      The Boy manages a coffee shop that dictates "holiday" decorations be put up, though a large percentage of the customers are Hindu or Muslim (including the owner).

      He gets hassled by a small but militant number of Christians who bitch about "Happy Holidays" signage and tinsel tree in one corner of the seating area. They see it as some kind of PC takeover.

      Delete
    3. Groan. Rather than sending Tom or Stanley to the Outer Hebrides, I'd much rather send the militant Christians there, and wish them godspeed in establishing their theocracy.

      They specialize in putting the "Oh, for Christ's sake" back in Christmas.

      Delete
    4. Jim, exactly. The Boy just says that's his cue to make their Christmas Mint Mochalatte extra sweet, wish them a "blessed Christmas," and move them on their way.

      Delete
    5. The militant Christians probably wouldn't approve of the e-card that I sent to my Indian supervisor at work for Diwali. He liked it. I didn't do it totally to suck up (just partially). I enjoyed reading about that holiday. The e-cards for it are a blast; plenty of sound and light.

      Delete
  18. I promised myself 2 things when I retired: have breakfast out each morning at a local coffee shop and subscribe to and read the Mon-Fri New York Times. On Sunday only I get the San Francisco Chronicle (a sad vestige of when it was a decent read). I have kept my promises to myself for these past 14 years and intend to continue so long as I am around to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with getting the Times delivered out here on the Left Coast is that it is printed in the VERY early AM in Los Angeles and mine is delivered about 5:00 AM. If anything has happened post publishing (we don't get an early, mid and late-morning edition: just an edition) then we don't get it printed until the next day. Bummer.

      Delete
    2. Jimmy - yes, I would guess this is the biggest reason that Millenials don't find newspapers appealing: a day-long production cycle just can't keep pace when there are faster (and, frankly, cheaper) ways of getting the information delivered.

      On the other hand, having a day to work a story allows reporters to follow up, seek comments from other people, and so on, that provides context and meaning that often is missing from insta-reporting. I've definitely been turning to newspapers to understand the coming tax cut. The insta-reporting has been focusing on the will-it-pass-or-won't-it aspect of the story, and also has been repeating bumper-sticker-length political talking points that may or may not be accurate; I want to know what's actually in the bill and its impact on my personal finances and the country's finances.

      Delete
    3. Btw, Jean's and Jimmy's comments about coffee shops inspired me to meet a friend at a coffee shop for lunch today. After working my way through a so-called Irish Skillet with pancakes on the side, I don't think I need to eat for the rest of the day. Jimmy, I'm guessing you've gained 15 pounds since retirement :-).

      Delete
    4. Wow, I almost made Irish skillet for supper.

      Delete
    5. I consider enhanced avoirdupois to be a gift from the breakfast goddess.

      Delete
  19. Jean, you made me laugh with your last comment about your son's "handling" of his, hmmm, christian customers. I needed that. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Boy is far better at dealing with "problem people" than I am. I'd be dumping more than sugar in their chai.

      Delete
  20. I don't know how to ditch the "Jimmy Mac" nom de blah and use my real nom de birth: Jim McCrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll revert to addressing you as Jim McCrea going forward. When I first "met" you, you were going by Jimmy Mac, and once it gets lodged in my brain, it takes up permanent residence.

      Delete