Friday, December 8, 2017

Happy Holy Day

I love this version of the late medieval carol, There Is No Rose of Such Virtue.

There is no rose of such virtue
As is the rose that bare Jesu,
Alleluia. 
 
For in this rose contained was
Heaven and earth in little space,
Res miranda. 
 
By that rose we may well see
That he is God in persons three,
Pari forma. 
 
The angels sungen the shepherds to:
Gloria in excelsis deo:
Gaudeamus. 
 
Leave we all this worldly mirth,
And follow we this joyful birth,
Transeamus. 
 
Alleluia, res miranda,
Pares forma, gaudeamus,
Transeamus.

3 comments:

  1. Katherine - I love that text, too. We sang a 20th century version of it, by Benjamin Britten, when I was in high school. It's from his Ceremony of Carols, which is relatively well-known, and was originally written for children's choir and harp. Here is a version of it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYpju2YQeo

    I made a Liturgy of the Hours mistake yesterday: I prayed Evening Prayer for St. Ambrose rather than Evening Prayer I for the Immaculate Conception. On average I'm good for at least one of those types of error every year. So I began the solemnity on a penitential note :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sang the Ceremony of Carols in high school, too, then again in college. I liked all of the songs.
      We had a full church last night for the vigil Mass. Which was weird because the previous Sunday had been sparsely attended. But we were the only parish in town doing the evening vigil Mass, so we probably had some extras.

      Delete
  2. That's very nice. I should just come over here and listen instead of arguing elsewhere over cake bakers and gropers.

    ReplyDelete