Saturday, October 21, 2017

History Lesson

Some years ago I spent a year or two doing graduate study in Japan. My Japanese wasn't bad in those days, although it depended on what the topic was. If someone wanted to talk about baseball, they were out of luck. If someone wanted to talk about the development of the Japanese legal system in the context of the larger development of capitalism in Japan in the 19th century, I was their man. My memories of my time there seem to involve a very few very long conversations.
I mostly talked to professors. Once, I met a professor who came from an ancient (by ancient, I mean "trace my lineage back 1,200 years" ancient) noble family. He seemed to be someone that I should cultivate. But sucking up to professors was hard. On one hand, small talk (which I hate) was important. On the other hand, I had to try to look like a scholar. It was very easy to slip the rails here.
A topic to try to avoid was World War 2. In general the War doesn't excite strong emotions in people there, who mostly view it as a universal tragedy. But sometimes I would run into people who had been maimed themselves or who had had their families and property obliterated in our bombings. I suppose one needs an eye for history (as I used to have) to look around Japanese cities and see that there are almost no pre-War buildings anywhere, since we destroyed them all. So some people hate us, although they don't go out of their way to say anything as a rule.
The professor from the noble family was a historian of modern Japan and that was my problem. Could I have an in-depth but yet facile conversation about the War (which had resulted, among other things, in the fall of families like his) if it came up? Would he have strong feelings about the War that he would transfer to me? Would other people at the conference, seeing him talking to an American, come up and join in out of curiosity?
We exchanged business cards to establish our ranks and occupations as all Japanese do. We established some shared connections in Japan and the university I was going to. We noted that there was weather outside and many people inside. Then we somehow slipped into the topic of art. Rocky shoals here, because Japanese art is something that I may not know much about but I know what I like. But we were able to converse smoothly, keeping it pretty shallow, like a teardrop on a mirror. It looked like smooth sailing until he brought up the War.
"My family has a few good, ancient pieces still. But alas, we really lost everything in the War."
Was this an ambush? Did he bring this up to open the gate to expressing strong feelings to the foreign barbarian?
"The War? Do you mean World War 2? Where was your family living?"
"Oh, he sighed. I mean the Onin War."
The Onin War was in 1467.

9 comments:

  1. I read once that Mohammad Mossadegh (premier of Iran until the 1953 coup organized/participated in by U.S. and British spooks) wouldn't deal with Greeks because of Alexander the Great and all that. Iranians still keenly remember the coup, even if most Americans don't. We consistently underestimate the power of memory in old societies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we have a millennium-long schism in the church over the Filioque, but it was really about politics and culture. So maybe we shouldn't be surprised at these things. Maybe not even by those who insist that the Confederacy was in part a cultural thing.

      Delete
  2. Crystal, That particular argument continues to this day. The current Republic of Macedonia exists only since 1993, and then only over Greece's dead body. It is Greek to today's Greeks, and it was Greek to Mossadegh. Wanna fight about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our WW 1 reading group has just finished Margaret MacMillan's "Paris 1919," about the effort to settle matters, which had Wilson's 14 Points as its public starting point, while the rest of the allies were working to maximize their "rewards." Japan was an ally in WW!, and they wanted the German colonial possessions in the Far East, including the Islands (Marianas?) and Shandong Peninsula from whence came shantung (a silk fabric), and tsing tao beer. The Chinese objected; it was their territory conceded to Germany in the great colonial giveaway. The Japanese finally won over the other allies to their claim. According to Macmillan part of the trade off was for the Japanese to give up their demand that the League of the Right of Nations would call for fair and equal treatment (sotto voce: all races). Wilson was in a pinch on that and it appears Clemenceau and Lloyd George were indifferent, so the Japanese got the peninsula (the entryway for their later invasion) and the fair and equal treatment clause got dropped.

    There is much more! With the fall of the Ottoman Empire, Italy and Greece hoped to reconstitute their ancient empires in 1919. The past is never past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Korean exchange engineers said they also had lineage records going back 1000 years. Mine stop at Ellis Island. Don't know if there's any records back in Poland. Not all that critical since 14B years of cosmic evolution stops here anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a couple of years to get my grandmother's Irish birth certificate. Her parents turned out to be illiterate peasants and my grandmother's generation was the first one that spoke English as a first language and the first to be able to read. And when I got the certificate (I was trying to apply for Irish citizenship through her birth line) I found that the birth year was off by two years and her birthday was off almost three month from all of her subsequent American documents.

    I determined that she had lied about her birth year in the States because her real birth year would have made her older than my grandfather. And the birthday was wrong because when she was both in the late 19th century, the British officials required a birth to be registered within 90 days. But peasants wouldn't bother to register a birth until they had a reason to go to the main town. I think that what happened was they got to the main town months after the birth, found out that there was a fine for non-compliance, make up a date to avoid the fine (the certificate was signed with two Xs from the people who filled it out), and then they went off to the pub to congratulate themselves for outwitting The Man.

    But I ended up getting the passport. After almost another year, I located her baptismal certificate, which had her being baptized about four months before she was born. Then I took all the documents and wrote a cover letter, which I first wrote as a sort of short story about how it all happened and which I then sanded down into something more official sounding. In that cover letter I used all of the writing talent that I had and I consider it to this day as my masterpiece. I know the Irish. They liked the story and they issued me a passport.

    ReplyDelete