Saturday, September 23, 2017

Unmarried Americans: National Singles Day

Today (September 23, 2017) is National Singles Day

This whole week has been National Singles Week

Unmarried Americans:
comprise more than 45% of the adult population in the United States.
They head more than 47% of our households,
and make up fully half of our workforce.

Married American adults include only the currently married and remarried.
Unmarried American adults include the never married, the separated, divorced, widowed. 
Cohabiting people are sometimes identified through the household question(s).

The CNN opinion article includes the usual arguments in favor of marriage, and the newer arguments in favor of the single life. I am interested in neither for two reasons:
1. The people making the arguments are usually trying to sell a product.
2. The data supporting the arguments are highly suspect. The fact that people who are married for a long time are happy, healthy, wealthy, etc. says little about the institution of marriage. These people are both self selected and selected by others, and data is rarely presented about those who divorce or die. One can construction a equally glowing picture of the never married single life by studying aged women religious. Again a both self-selected and other selected group, and little data on those who left or died.

Marital Status (like age, sex, household status, income, etc.) is a fundamental social status question.  We think about ourselves, others, society, religion and politics in these terms. Society is undergoing profound changes that can only be understood if we use these categories well. 

Conceptualizing Marital Status

The statistics on marital status have changed because people are living longer.
Pledging "until death do us part" at age 18 means not age 50, or 60, or 70, but perhaps 80, 90, or 100.

Longer life spans mean that a single marriage can begin later, and the death of one spouse means the other will be unmarried longer unless they remarry. So while some marriages may be longer, the percentage of adulthood spent in marriage would decline if people only married once.

Besides long life spans we now have the pill, and easily divorce so we have more serial monogamy (which is also called serial polygamy particularly by those who oppose it). The pill has made monogamous relationship without marriage easier. Divorces add more unmarried years to the lifetime mix. Simply put there are many more ways and opportunities to be unmarried.

When I was under 40, I easily thought of myself as single and unmarried. Single signified that one was young, a valued attribute. In academia there were many single people, including graduate students and junior faculty. 

Around age 40 I migrated to the mental health system, immediately becoming a senior manager. Most of my  colleagues and the CEO were also in their forties and most of them were married. Many of the people I supervised were younger and single.

I also become a member of a mostly voluntary parish staff all of who were over forty, and most of whom were married. So all the people I identified with professionally were older and family people. I no longer identified with young unmarried people.

My parents retired about this time, and so I spent much more time with them. So I began to think of myself as a family person rather than a single person because most of all the people in my work, parish, and neighborhood were married family people. A few might be divorced, or widowed but few were never married singles. So "single" fell aside with "young" as a self-identifier.

However there was another term rather than single that I had long identified with, namely "solitary."  My interest in religious life as an undergraduate had led me to study its historical origins. Early Christianity valued single women (widows and virgins) and single men (monozontes) before it valued monasticism in both its anchoretic and communal forms.

Single women could most easily withdraw from marriage (and normal social responsibilities) by withdrawing into the inner rooms of a household.    Men however had to give up their property in order to withdraw from normal social responsibilities. That produced the attractiveness of a solitary desert location. In the Life of Anthony he is inspired to follow Christ by giving all his money to the poor (except for a dowry to establish a convent for his sister).

When men went to the desert they did not wander around, but chose a specific site for their cell, essentially they became a single person household with what we would call "the smallest footprint" on the environment. The fact that these were regarded as single person households is evident from the great value attached to staying in one's cell, and by the obligation of providing hospitality to visitors. 

Most church meetings in the first and second century took place in households (i.e. they were household churches). Research is now indicating that people were slow to abandon household churches for public meetings. There was simply not enough room for them in the cathedrals and basilicas, even including unroofed shrines to martyrs on the outskirts of the cities. A lot of activity such as prayer and teaching occurred in the homes of the wealthy, often under the control of women.

Early Christianity provides many household models that supported unmarried men and women. Eventually religious as well as the clergy became far more regulated and separated from the laity.
Catholicism should not be stuck with the model of romantic nuclear family married life that dominated life in recent centuries. It was clear to me immediately after the Council that we were not going to renew religious life until we rediscovered unmarried life as a Christian social status.  

10 comments:

  1. Maybe there are more unmarried adults now, but most of us had unmarried aunts and uncles back in the day. My mom had two unmarried sisters. They spent their professional lives in academia. There were some bachelor farmers on the other side. We called the unmarried relatives "bachelors", and "maiden ladies". They had a place in the community and in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my aunts never married. She spent most of her life dealing with severe depression. Religion provided a way of organizing her life. Although raised Catholic, she found a model and consolation in a prominent woman faith healer and spent a lot of her time in Pentecostal groups.

      My public high school Protestant Latin teacher was also single. Teaching like the religious life has often given people permission to be unmarried.

      Delete
    2. Although the NT order of widows disappeared as an official order after a few centuries, I suspect its reality has always been with us.

      Certainly when I was an altar boy serving daily Mass most of the congregation would have been classified as widows by the early Church. My grandmother joined that group after my grand parents gave up farming and moved into town. Two of my aunts joined the praying widows after their husbands died.

      Delete
  2. I think every parish has their Annas and Simeons. Looking forward to being part of the daily Mass crowd after I retire (lot of older married couples in that group, too.)
    I think there's a difference between single people who are fine being that way and don't want to get married, and those who just never connect with the right person. My aunts were of the "confirmed singles" category. They both had proposals of marriage but ended up breaking off the relationships. They were identical twins. I don't know what the statistics are on twins who stay single, but they tend to have an extraordinary closeness to each other. The popularity of online dating sites are witness to the ones who can't find the right person. Of course some of those just want to date and not tie the knot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm single and never married but I find it amusing to see a Singles Day and a Singles Week. Who thinks up these silly week things? I have plenty of social contact through dancing but I don't pursue any "serious" relationship because I like things being the way they are, open, friendly and casual. As for my never being married and my lack of offspring, I may have regretted that at one time. But in the face of what I believe will be a big dieback of the human species by the end of the century due to climate change, overpopulation, ecological collapse and just plain stupidity, I prefer to think they came to being in some nicer, if only slightly nicer parallel universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley, I do worry about the world my granddaughters will have to live in. The human species is marvelously adaptive but also marvelously adept at telling themselves lies. I just hope the adaptive part kicks in pretty soon.

      Delete
  4. Katherine,
    I worry about your and everyone's grandchildren. Hopefully, I'll figure out more for me to do about it besides bitch and moan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This conversation took a sad turn!

    I think a lot of people used to get married because people wondered what was wrong with you if you weren't. Then, once you got married, they were all over you to have kids.

    Now the kids seem to come without the marriage leaving a generation of stressed out single mothers and responsibility-challenged drones.

    I like that Catholics seem to understand that there is dignity and purpose in a single or solitary life. I have several never-married Catholic friends, and they are all delightful and well-adjusted.

    Having Singles Day strikes me as weird. I have to wonder what prompts it. Nothing good comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yeah what would that look like? I wonder if Raber would send me one of those, you know as a kind of subtle hint.

      Single friends, especially women, often get hit with the bulk of elder care. One friend and her aunt are tasked with caring for a mentally handicapped relative in-home while the rest of the family criticizes.

      Another friend's bored retired father kept going over to her house to do unwanted "home improvements" on the pretext that she "didn't have a man around to do this stuff." She finally took a job out in California to get away from his ministrations.

      Delete