Saturday, April 1, 2017

Climate Wars

     I signed up for two bus trips to DC, one for the Science March in 22 April and the other for the Climate March on 29 April.  I guess it's better than nothing and may lead to something.  It is scary to think how many people don't believe in anthropogenic global warming and how many don't believe it's a priority even if it's true.
       I'm trying to think of one person I've "converted" in all my years of argument and persuasion on the subject and I can't think of one.  It's like talking to a high stone wall, at best, with trolls on the wall pouring buckets of excrement on me at the worst.
       Though the science is clear, and for some that's enough, I think that without the spirituality, nothing will happen.  We all live in a bubble of technological civilization that insulates us from the real world.  When a hurricane causes a power blackout, that IS a return to normalcy.  We are disconnected from nature and forget our dependence on it.   We can't even see the stars, a source of awe and wonder.  Now the extra cocooning of the internet.
     Recently, there was climate testimony before the House Committee.  Michael Mann, Penn State climatologist was the only witness supporting climate action.  The other three were, if not denialists, then minimizers,  John Christy, Judith Curry, Roger Pielke, Jr.   All the boneheaded politicians need to cover their greedy machinations.  I googled this event and the first page of returns was mostly National Review, Breitbart, denialist sites with a smattering of more balanced coverage sites.  Bing returned all denialist.   I think it is becoming obvious that the internet itself is extremely corporate controlled, almost as badly as the other media.  How does one fight such powerful evil?  A march?  I guess, for now.

12 comments:

  1. I talked to a 30 some year old woman who was a Bernie delegate at the democratic convention. She was all excited about all the other delegates. This is what the young are into social media and events. The heart of the Sanders movement. He had a lot of local media attention at his huge rallies, but the national media ignored him despite his huge rallies and fund raising capacity with small donors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was awful to see the latest executive order signed to dismantle the Clean Energy Plan. About the march, I read the blog of science writer Ed Yong who now works for The Atlantic ... What Exactly Are People Marching for When They March for Science?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me,Jack, Bernie is a happy warrior and an inspiration. He can still speak of Trump voters without rancor. I find it very hard, especially when I see these political thugs and barbarians reveling in their arson and destruction. Hard to re-center myself. When I get time, I'll need a good retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, link took me to youtube. But I can say that I'll be marching for science free of harassment by politicians. I'll be marching for intense study of our amazing life-supporting planet. I'll be marching for the free communication of valid science directly to the citizenry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sorry - here it is again ... https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/what-exactly-are-people-marching-for-when-they-march-for-science/518763/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy marching, Stanley. I wish we could be with you. I thought about it, but we are tied down here because all of my wife's doctors have boat payments or Harvard tuition bills for their kids coming up.
    I could understand (Grumble about, but understand) denial back when the evidence was mostly tables of numbers. But now that we have regularly flooding coastal towns in Virginia and Florida and photos of disappearing glaciers, the denialists are way beyond having a dumb hobby and into being public enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stanley ,here is some encouragement. Renewable energy is heading toward making more economic sense than fossil fuel.
    But obstructionists are unfortunately trying to derail the renewables with a denialist government in power

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom, I'll try to report my experiences at the marches here as best I can. A journalist would no doubt do a better job.
    Katherine, I know they're playing all kinds of games to make solar less economical. If I ever build my monolithic dome house, it'll be off grid if the utilities penalize me and I'll be sure to send them a nice letter apprising them of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a lot of wind farms to the north of us. I find them kind of mesmerizing. I take my mother for drives by it.

    However, the yahoos who voted for Trump in my county have "NO TURBINES!" signs in their yards. A rational person would understnad that perhaps these ought not to go up willy nilly, without proper impact studies on people and wildlife.

    But their arguments aren't rational. It's a class thing for them. Only hippies and leftists who don't understand the hard work of coal mining and living on an oil rig would like alternative energy.

    So now we have farmers using fraking waste on crops that we eat.

    Thank you for marching for rational thought, Stanley. I look forward to your report.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stanley, My son has solar in Texas, where there is a move to charge solar folks $6 a month for their right to sell their excess power to the utility company. He told them at a hearing that if they try it, "I will sue you, and I will win."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for your son, Tom. Infrared state Texas actually has a strong renewable base, especially wind. Sometimes they generate 20% of their power with renewables. Maybe the improving economics that Katherine alluded to will win out if common sense doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book popped up on my Kindle, to be released April 8: ClimateOfHope
    I don't know what it will be like, but sounds promising. I hope our library gets it.

    ReplyDelete