Monday, August 24, 2026

It's time to say who I am

I gave this brief homily yesterday.  That day's readings, the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A, are here.

This homily was meant to tie into a special occasion: at the mass at which I preached, we baptized a 14 year old young man who had been receiving private instruction.  During the homily, I addressed him ("Jared") directly.  I kept the homily quite brief so the mass+baptism wouldn't run too long.

Jared, who do you say that Jesus is?   

When Jesus asked his disciples that question, they suggested various prophets: John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, one of the prophets.  Those guesses weren't completely wrong: Jews of that time would be familiar with the tradition of God sending prophets to his people, and it's natural that they would connect Jesus with them.  And indeed, Jesus engages in prophecy in today's Gospel reading, foretelling that Peter will be the rock on which he builds his church.

Peter's answer is best and most truthful, though: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God".  

We're challenged to give that same answer, with the same conviction that Peter did.  

Jared, this is a big moment.  Baptism is a big deal - perhaps the single most important thing that you will do in this life.  In a few minutes, you'll be asked to profess your faith in Jesus as the Son of the living God, much like Peter did in today's Gospel.  You'll profess your faith before this gathered community of believers; and then you'll be baptized into that faith.

For those of us who are baptized already, which is nearly all of us here: we were called to profess this same faith, or have our parents profess it on our behalf, on the day of our own baptism. And as we've journeyed through our lives, we're challenged to profess that same faith, again and again - in our words, in our deeds, in our hearts and in our prayers. 

Jared, this sacrament you'll be receiving in a few minutes is not the culmination of your faith journey; rather, baptism marks the beginning of that journey.  As you continue along that journey, in the years to come, you'll achieve other sacramental milestones: you'll receive the Holy Spirit in confirmation, and you'll receive strength for your journey in holy communion.    

Jared, are you ready to echo St. Peter, and profess your faith in the Christ, the Son of the living God?  Good - because it's time.  Let's do it now.  

7 comments:

  1. Not intended as criticism, but isn't the congregation called to uphold the newly baptized in their life as Christians. I rejected (and still reject) Protestantism as a "just me 'n'Jesus, my personal Lord 'n' Savior" arrangement. Doesn't Catholicism have a more corporal "all of us with Jesus" mindset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right - we are all called to uphold, accompany and live lives of solidarity with one another. Godparents/sponsors represent the community's resolve in this regard. Perhaps I should have brought that out.

      Delete
    2. Like I said, not crit, mostly for my own edification and trying to remember The Boy's baptism. That whole Easter Vigil is a blur.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to Jared on his Baptism!
    It's awkward for teen converts, they don't quite fit into adult OCIA, but they're too old for grade school religious ed. So it's good that someone worked with him privately.
    How do they handle Confirmation for converts there? Here the priest would have conferred it at the same time as Baptism. Or will Jared wait for the archbishop to come when he confirms the other kids? When I was a kid the bishop didn't make the rounds out to our town every year, so there were different ages confirmed. My mom and I were confirmed on the same day. I was nine, she was thirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before mass, I asked the Religious Ed staff members who had instructed him whether he would also make his first communion that night, and they said no: if word got around that their kids could skip the prep programs and get special instruction tailored to their schedules, they'd all demand it.

    We don't confirm until sophomore year in high school. I don't know if he is starting 8th or 9th grade this fall, but he should be able to be slotted into the teen program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If word got around that their kids could skip the prep programs and get special instruction tailored to their schedules, they'd all demand it.". Except Jared already got special instruction tailored to his schedule for one sacrament, why not make it two?

      Delete
    2. We have done special instruction in the past for teens for baptism. I understand drawing the line at special treatment for confirmation. I am not sure how they handle communion, though.

      Delete