Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Pope Leo's Sesquicentennial letter to Americans

While looking for something else today, I ran across this letter from Pope Leo to the American people on the occasion of our 250th annivesary.  The letter, which is pretty short, is here.  

I don't think there is anything controversial about it (although I could be wrong - I'd be interested in folks' thoughts about it).  Here are my random observations, below the break:

Leo refers to our country's ideals of "liberty, equality, the pursuit of happiness, justice and democratic self-government."  That is not quite the same list as Thomas Jefferson's "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."  In that regard, it's interesting that Leo left "life" off his list. That said, he does devote a paragraph to the topic of life a little later in his letter:

Also among the principles that have guided the development of this country is the God-given dignity of every human life, each person being endowed with an inherent worth that calls for reverence, protection and care.  In this spirit, a full understanding of this dignity leads to recognizing the importance of safeguarding human life from its beginning at conception until natural death, and of building a society in which the vulnerable, the suffering and the forgotten are always met with compassion, solidarity and love.
Note that there is nothing here about abortion being the "pre-eminent" issue facing Americans.  Abortion isn't ignored, but it's put in a larger context..  And then, in the next paragraph, he flows quite naturally to another pro-life concern: the treatment and safety of immigrants.

Before getting to the pro-life paragraph, Leo observes that Americans have carried forward those core principles of liberty, equality et al via "sacrifice, service, innovation and civic participation".  I find it heartening to see Catholic American life characterized this way.

Leo also points out, accurately, that the Catholic church has contributed significantly to the development of our country.  He lists these specific areas in which the church has been active: "education, the preferential care of the poor, healthcare and basic social services." 

He also spends some time on the citizenship responsibilities of Christians.  He refers to our twin duties, to God and country.  I suppose that is not a new insight, but it is not one that I have heard recently.  I think it's important that Leo states this traditional view.

Leo also mentions the importance of the American principle of religious liberty, without claiming that it is in danger or under assault.  Rather, he sees religious liberty as allowing the Catholic church to flourish - it is a blessing.

As you may see from these snippets and observations, the entire letter is optimistic in tone.  We American Catholics are abundantly blessed.

There is a brief call to action near the end:
May this milestone renew the shared commitment to the promise of freedom, justice, opportunity and democracy.  May Americans honor the courage and vision of those who came before them by strengthening their communities, respecting their differences and working together toward a more perfect union.
One more observation: in his final paragraph, Leo entrusts us "to the intercession of the Immaculate Conception, patroness of this country".  The phrasing here, referring to the Blessed Mother as the "Immaculate Conception", struck me as a bit unusual.  I think of the Immaculate Conception as a blessed event, not a blessed person.  But - at least if Google Gemini is to be believed - it is acceptable to treat the phrase "Immaculate Conception" as a title of honor and devotion, similar to "Mother of God".  

42 comments:

  1. I saw it as a reminder to Catholics to work to be a blessing to others by demonstrating how our founding principles reflect Catholic values. It was a little dull. He might have mentioned specific American Catholics or American Catholic movements, but Mary Harris (aka Mother Jones) or the Catholic Worker might be a bridge too far for the people in the pews nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It was a little dull."

      Yes. In my view, bland and pro forma is just what we need more of!

      Delete
    2. There's wisdom in not being incendiary in these times of division. There's also the risk of becoming so bland that you're ignored.

      Pope Leo strikes me as someone practiced in the art of saying soothing things, and nodding and smiling through a lot of tiresome, low-level bullshit.

      He does choose his own time to get blunt when it really matters, as he has about Trump's immigration policies.

      I don't think he misses much.

      Delete
  2. Pope Francis when he addressed Congress gave Dorthy Day and Thomas Merton along with Abraham Lincoln and MLK as models of civic engagement.

    https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2015/september/documents/papa-francesco_20150924_usa-us-congress.html

    In my WEAL blog I have an outline with a brief introductory comment.

    https://lakeohioweal.blogspot.com/2025/10/pope-francis-address-to-congress.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought of Francis's letter when I wrote this post on Leo's letter. I hadn't looked at Francis's since immediately after he spoke to Congress. It holds up pretty well!

      For some reason, neither Merton nor Day has peopled my spiritual imagination. Jean Donovan and Solanus Casey speak more to me.

      Delete
  3. Interesting article at NCR about the efforts of the trump administration to claim that Catholics can ignore Pope Leo at times because he’s a head of state—a secular ruler—so he can be ignored by Catholics when he is speaking about wars, Justice, and probably when he speaks of immigration and refugee policies. This was the implication of Trump’s ambassador to the Vatican. The Vatican has set the record straight.

    https://www.ncronline.org/opinion/trumps-vatican-ambassador-tried-politicize-pope-rome-said-no

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that too. Funny how these very traditional people think it's fine to be cafeteria Catholic if the pope says something they don't like.

      Delete
    2. At least Brian Burch isn't on the crazy train as much as Peter Thiel is. Thiel recently said Pope Leo was a "Chinese communist" because he favors regulation of AI. He's got some pretty weird end times theories too.

      Delete
    3. There is so wacko it’s hard to believe. And Vance is his protégé

      Delete
    4. Theil. I need to turn off autocorrect

      Delete
  4. I thought it was a good letter.
    About the Immaculate Conception as a title, I am remembering in the Lourdes story that when Bernadette asked the Lady in her vision who she was, she said, "I am the Immaculate Conception." Which convinced the bishop that Bernadette wasn't lying, because he thought a peasant girl couldn't possibly have heard anything about a theological concept that was still being debated. Not weighing in on apparitions, just saying that Pope Leo wasn't the first person to have used that title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George Will has a piece in the WaPo about Vance’s many “ conversions”. Not just religious. But he comments on Vance’s arrogance in correcting Pope Leo

    “ JD Vance has an aptitude for conversions. His have involved politics, economics, history and religion, so far. Whatever his next one is will probably not be his last.
 One propelled him from the Pentecostal Protestantism of his youth, through atheism, to Catholicism. As the U.S. government’s “most senior Catholic” (his self-description) he, in the church since 2019, warned the pope to “be careful” when speaking “on matters of theology.” Leo XIV was careless (in Vance’s view) when criticizing the Iran war.”

    It’s doubtful that Vance will pay any attention to the Pope’s letter. Or maybe he’ll wag his finger again and tell the Pope he doesn’t know anything. Most Catholics won’t pay attention either, especially the 60% of white Catholics who are MAGA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please pray for people and animals in the path of Canadian wildfire smoke. The AQI is almost off the chart (449, normal limit is 50, we are usually around 30 or 40) at "Hazardous." This is the highest it's ever been.

    The sun has been blotted out to a dim red disk this morning and you can see and smell the haze. There is a fine thin film of dust on the car. No birdsong or other noise. The microscopic PM 2.5 particles that go from your lungs to bloodstream high, so you can not only smell smoke but will get a metallic taste. We both have mild headaches. Larger PM 10 particles are also high and cause coughing.

    People are being told to stay in with pets, to keep windows closed, and run AC if they have it, wear KN-95 masks if they have to go out. I am going to see if we have an extra to take out to the mailbox for our carrier.

    Jim and Jack, please be aware.

    You can check conditions in your area at air.gov.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a little hazy here. I didn't smell smoke. But my sister sent me a picture that her daughter in Boston shared. The air was yellow, kind of eerie. They were telling daycares not to have the kids play outside.

      Delete
    2. Very yellow here, too. Smoke doesn't smell like campfire smoke, but not sticking my head out the door to refine my description of it. The big fire nearest us is up in Nipigon, Ont, about 600 miles away. Rain and wind would help dissipate, but neither in forecast.

      Apparently, climate change is drying out Canadian forests at a fast clip and making wildfires burn more intensely in longer seasons.

      Meantime, Trump will address the nation tonite about how he lost the 2020 election. Cuz let's focus on the things Americans *really* need to worry about.

      Delete
    3. Yesterday morning, I did an oil change in my garage on M’s car. Afterwards, we went to a nice breakfast place in Stroudsburg and ate outside. A young woman asked us if we smelled smoke. Uh oh. I immediately thought “Canadian wildfires” and so it is. My eyes are slightly stinging today. This is the second time in my life and in recent years that I’ve experienced this. This is the future. Climate change is no joke. I never smoked but now I do. Climate change shortens lives.

      Delete
    4. And yes, there’s a haze in the sky. A little taste of apocalypse here, a little bit there and soon you realize the party, as it is, is over.

      Delete
    5. Yah, I have my last consult tomorrow prior to heart surgery. Why am I even bothering with this?

      Social Security will be broke in 4 years and Michigan has an increasing number of days over 90 degrees with "stay inside and stifle" orders due to air quality alerts. We're also getting more severe insect-borne illnesses. And let me tell you about our cyclosporiasis outbreak nobody can figure out.

      If I'd known what was coming in 1986, I would have had my tubes tied and not bothered to quit smoking and drinking.

      Delete
    6. Jean I'll add you to my prayers for the heart surgery!
      Has your kid in Oregon said anything about smoke out there?

      Delete
    7. Air quality in Portland right now is 27, so very good out there. The Boy says they're seeing a lot of weird sunrises/sunsets.

      Niece in Minneapolis said AQI off the charts for three days, no end in site due to Boundary Waters fire.

      Raber took masks over to the guys doing construction across the street. Their eyes are running pretty bad.

      Hold off on prayers. They're still checking out other stuff they found to see if surgery even worth it. I already told them I thought surgery was overkill, but it takes doctors longer to give up, apparently. Oncologist weighs in tomorrow. I don't feel too bad, just ornery and ungrateful.

      Pray for little kids with asthma, livestock, and animals caught in fires. They need it way worse.

      Delete
    8. It was a little hazy this morning - looked slightly foggy, but it was wildfire smoke from hundreds of miles away. My wife came bursting out of her office mid-morning today to announce that the air quality is 310, whatever that means. But she strictly forbade my going outside today (I'm asthmatic).

      Delete
    9. Airnow.gov will tell you what the numbers mean. Type in yr ZIP and get an hourly update.

      It's been stuck at 400 here all day, no let-up. Usually the levels vary thru'out the day so you can get a few hours outside.

      Raber pooh-poohed it all until he went out to dink around in the garage. He came back in after 10 minutes because he couldn't breathe. He is not asthmatic.

      Delete
    10. Hmm, well, airnow.gov now thinks it's 774 in my town. I suppose that is possible?

      Delete
    11. It has’t reached the DelMarVa area yet but appears will starting tomorrow.

      Delete
    12. Nah, Jim, it's just the Deep State trying to scare you into staying inside so they can turn the kids gay while you're not lookin'. Don't give in! Show 'em you don't buy their lies and get out there and mow the lawn!

      Sorry. Back to my knitting ...

      Delete
    13. Jean - are you really expecting us to believe that this isn't about the Epstein files?

      At any rate, we're down to 701 now. Going for a nine mile run, I'll be back to report later.

      Delete
    14. Peaked at 350 here in the Poconos. Now down to 200. My $16 Temu Air Monitor seems to be tracking Airnow very welll.

      Delete
    15. Haha! Jim, srsly, keep the inhaler handy.

      Stanley, my niece is an engineer and built something called a Corsi Rosenthal box and is monitoring indoor pollutants on a phone app. She's been sending me screen shots thru'out the day. She also had a heat pump and solar panels installed on her house and has apps to track energy savings and surpluses on that. They said she was OCD as a kid, but it seems to be paying off bigtime!

      Delete
    16. And the Michigan GOP congressional delegation is writing nasty letters to Canada: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/widlfires-smoke-air-quality-michigan-congress-republicans-9.7272538

      That's enough stupid for today ...

      Delete
    17. Jean, congrats on the cool niece. Yeah, that’s a MAGA thing, blaming Canada for not controlling nature. Naive people think science can fix anything.

      Delete
    18. Morning email that the swim club won’t be open today because of air quality. Doesn’t really look that bad to me yet. But it’s been very hot 98-100 so I guess they are anticipating that it will get worse as the day goes on.

      Re the idiots writing to Canada. The head of some MAGA women’s group sent a letter or email to the national membership saying that the weather - extreme heat during the disastrous Great American State Fair and the torrential rains and thunderstorms on July 4 that caused the 9 pm fireworks to be pushed to midnight so that trump could give a long speech were caused by the libs manipulating the weather. Apparently she doesn’t know that high temperatures and evening thunderstorms are standard weather in July in DC. And who can forget trump refusing disaster aid to California after a record breaking wildfire because they hadn’t raked the forest.

      Delete
    19. Things have improved here. Gone from very unhealthy to unhealthy. Anyway, I’m at EWR waiting for a flight to Ft. Lauderdale. My cousin’s having her 89th birthday celebration. Hopefully, the doomsday weather will be over when I return.

      Delete
    20. Let’s hope too that it doesn’t drift all the way to Florida! Enjoy the wedding.

      Off topic - Commonweal has a review of a family movie called The Sheep Detectives. Our son recommended it to us a month or so ago and I have seen many positive reviews - Commonweal, America, the NYT etc. We watched it ( rented it via Amazon Prime Video) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea ( it DOES take place in England) but for us it provided a welcome break from the news. If you’re trapped inside by smoke or weather, it’s a fun watch.

      Delete
    21. Today's reading is 352, as of a few minutes ago. I think that's a bit higher than when I woke up, so it may be building again, although I don't think it's expected to get higher.

      I ended up having to run a number of errands yesterday afternoon and evening, most of which were necessary, so was out and about in the smoke for some time. I could feel it when I breathed. It wasn't pleasant.
      em
      Can't believe those Canadians starting wildfires on purpose and then using giant fans (which, knowing th, most likely are not powered by MAGA-acceptable energy sources like coal) to blow the smoke this way.

      Delete
    22. "although I don't think it's expected to get higher." I should have said, "I don't think it's expected to get as high as it was yesterday"

      Delete
    23. We watched the Sheep Detective a week or so ago. Yes, it is family fare. Pretty good. If any of you have seen the film Babe from 30 or so years ago, it is similar in the talking-animals vein.

      Delete
    24. Back down to 57 this morning. Windows open and cats playing on porch! Thank you, God, for this respite. Smoke will be moving back in intermittently, tho.

      I see by the Wash Post that Trump wants to put retaliatory tariffs on Canada to punish them for the smoke.

      WILL THIS MADNESS NEVER END?

      Delete
    25. Jean, it seems that madness has overtaken the country. Although trumps approval numbers are down, millions still say they approve and that he’s doing a great job.

      The latest is that he, Vance, Rubio and Miller met to discuss the threat of a conspiracy for a communist takeover from the inside.

      Delete
    26. "Windows open and cats playing on porch! "

      After work, weather permitting, my wife takes the cats into the backyard when she sits on our patio. She has a birdfeeder in the backyard, which is hugely popular with the local wildlife, in part because seeing the bird, squirrels, bunnies, etc. is stimulative to the cats.

      But in recent weeks, it seems the birdfeeder hangout has been attracting a coyote, as well. We've seen it (or perhaps more than one) a few times. A couple of days ago, a coyote trotted through our backyard while my wife was actually outside with the cats. Understandably, she freaked out, and got the cats inside - which, if you are not a cat owner, may sound easier than it usually is, as they only come back inside when they feel like it, and find it amusing to let the "owner" chase them around the yards for 20 or 30 minutes at a time. But in this case, the cats were quite eager to come back, too - they obviously were aware of the coyote's presence.

      Delete
    27. I see/hear lots of coyote here, too. We've been advised not to fill birdfeeders in spring/summer bc of black bears.

      Yeah, cats. They think it's some kind of fun stalking game to get chased around. What I really hate is when they run up trees. You stand there harmlessly trying to coax them down, and they just find a comfy branch, lie down, and close their eyes. I'm too decrepit to chase cats around now. Our cats stay on the big screen porch.

      Our neighbors have a couple of husky dogs, which are worse than cats. Totally self-directed and obstinate. Every other day she posts a BOLO for them on the community page. Last fall they jumped from the car onto their roof and then sat up there and howled their fool heads off. Husband had to get out a ladder and carry them down.

      Delete
  7. Prayers for positive news from the cardiologist and the oncologist, Jean..

    I have a second opinion appointment with the medical oncologist tomorrow. Decision time about which meds or no meds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, sending prayers that your oncologist will give you the best advice for your situation.

    ReplyDelete