Saturday, September 30, 2023

Divorce and remarriage in Orthodoxy

What follows was written as a response to a comment from Katherine to the post directly below.  My response was too long for the comment field, so I'm posting it here as a separate post.  I believe the question it seeks to address - the differences between Catholicism's and Orthodoxy's respective views of marriage and divorce - are interesting in their own right.

In the topic below about the upcoming Synod, there has been some conversation about the Catholic church relaxing its restrictions about admitting to communion those Catholics who are divorced and then remarried without having obtained an annulment.  Katherine asked, "how do the Orthodox do it? I don't think they do annulments."

This article seems like a good backgrounder on Orthodox views of marriage:

https://www.saintjohnchurch.org/remarriage-after-divorce/

Both traditions (Catholicism and Orthodoxy) seem to agree that marriage should be indissoluble.  But please note this passage from the article:

In the Orthodox Church, marriage is a mystery or sacrament (Eph. 5:31-32). Sealed through the Church, a healthy Christian marriage is thus indissoluble. That said, we must remember something important: the covenant of marriage, just like any other covenant with God, requires the exertion of our free will. In other words, marriage only remains unbreakable if we choose to make and keep it so.

Christ tells us, “Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate” (Mark 10:9; Matt. 19:6). Sounds rather straightforward. This is a divine request, much like “do not kill”. However, note that Christ’s teaching that marriage may not be dissolved does not mean He’s saying it cannot occur. Mankind has always been free to obey or disobey God’s commandments. Man can dissolve his marriage if he chooses to. He can kill his fellow man, if he chooses to. In either case, he commits grievous sin and must seek repentance. Put another way, this command from Christ is not a magical glue that holds the marriage together despite the unwillingness of one or both spouses.

By contrast, Catholicism believes the command (not request) of Jesus really is straightforward: a marriage bond cannot be dissolved.  "Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate."

Based on the article, I would note the following about Orthodoxy's views about marriage:

  • Marriages are meant to last a lifetime
  • Orthodoxy attempts to acknowledge the reality that marriages fail - sometimes right away; sometimes much later.
  • Orthodoxy's approach has tried to strike a balance between obeying Jesus's words, and responding mercifully to the reality that some marriages just aren't working - and in fact, it may ultimately be healthier for one or both spouses for the marriage to be dissolved.  Orthodoxy discerns permission in scripture for it to take this compassionate approach.

In Orthodoxy, who dissolves a marriage that isn't working?  From what I see in the article, there is a sense that sin at work in the marriage is what 'dissolves' the reality of the marriage; and I think the Orthodox church may choose to formally recognize that reality.  (I think that is right, but am certainly open to correction.)  

That is not the same as an annulment in Catholicism.  First of all, the Catholic church wouldn't agree that a valid marriage may be dissolved by anyone except God (er, with certain biblically-authorized exceptions, cf. the Pauline Privilege and the Petrine Privilege).  

The Catholic idea of annulment is: the couple confer their marriage consent upon one another; the official church has no role in the consent, except to provide a holy and/or sacramental setting and liturgical text for the conferral of consent to take place.  (Thus it would be incorrect to say that Fr. Jones "married" my wife and me on our wedding day; she and I married one another when we gave our consensual vows.)  That consent may or may not be defective; it depends on the state of mind and intentions of the two spouses at the time the consent was conferred.  If the consent was defective, then it isn't considered binding.  

That is what the annulment process consists of: investigating the state of mind and intentions of the two spouses at that moment in time, and then reaching a judgment as to whether there were any defects in the consent.

By contrast, when an Orthodox church is inquiring whether a marriage has ended, the church seems to consider, not only what was happening at the time the marriage was made, but also what has happened in the marriage in the ensuing months/years/decades.

I daresay one can see the pastoral appeal in Orthodoxy's approach.

34 comments:

  1. To me there are pastoral truths in both the Orthodox and RC approaches to failed marriages. The RC justification for annulments is that some marriages didn't have what it takes from the very beginning. The Orthodox one appears to be that people can kill a marriage (sin), and the timeline of when it happens can be later on rather than at the beginning. Which makes more sense to me. Looking back I can't really say that we understood everything about what marriage meant when we got married in our early twenties (I was 21).. It was through the grace of God that we muddled through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “That is what the annulment process consists of: investigating the state of mind and intentions of the two spouses at that moment in time, and then reaching a judgment as to whether there were any defects in the consent.”

    Betty went through the annulment process with her first marriage. It was long and pure hell and the focus on intentions was probably what made it so bad.

    Her first husband had been systematically unfaithful and then abandoned Betty and her daughter who were both in poor health. In my opinion the marriage should have been declare invalid because the husband simply failed to carry out what he had promised. Whether he had deceived himself and Betty about his intentions before marriage should not have mattered. What he did and failed to do should have been the criteria for a valid marriage.

    However, I think the annulment process went so bad because the question was whether the husband had “intended” to be faithful to his vows at the time he took them. I suspect he said (probably to protect his ego) that he had intended to be faithful. So, the initial priests involved in the case repeatedly encouraged him to oppose the annulment and told Betty that her marriage could not be annulled. Another priest took the case over, threw out all the old documents, and got Betty an annulment. I suspect that priest had learned to become very sophisticated in his questions so to get information about bad intentions of the husband before the marriage as well as after.

    In the new rules on annulments, Francis has given bishops the ability to decree nullity on the basis of facts without going through a trial (and all the questions about intentions). I suspect Betty’s first husband would have been such a case of immediate nullity. In changing the rules about annulments, Francis repeatedly cited the public opinion of the cardinal that had preceded him in Buenos Aires who thought that the majority of Catholic marriages did not meet the requirements for validity.

    Part of the differences in how the East and West treat marriage probably comes from the strong legal emphasis in Roman life, and the strong philosophical emphasis in Greek life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not an expert on the ins and outs of annulments. But my view is: a long and chronic track record of infidelity is pretty powerful evidence that the spouse never intended to remain faithful to his wedding promises.

      Delete
    2. I have heard several horror stories like Betty’s. The annulment process sounds like just another evil clerical power play in many cases.

      Delete
    3. I think there were priests who genuinely just wanted to help. But, yes, the process seems brutal and contrived. I would never put someone through that on my account.
      My friend sees the granting of an annulment to his ex-wife as approval by the Church of her lies and machinations to gain advantages in the divorce process.

      Delete
  3. FWIW - I think the root of the difficulty on this topic is the words of Jesus in Mark's Gospel (Mark 10:2-12). They are more demanding than many/most humans are willing to accept. They explicitly 'correct' the Law of Moses, in which (according to the Gospel passage) Moses was coerced into softening God's original intention. Jesus presents himself as restoring that original intention.

    And the history of Christianity, at least during our time, is to continue to search for ways to soften it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that whenever the law was softened (in Jesus' time) it was to the disadvantage of women, who had few rights, potentially leaving them without support. I don't know whether this would have had any bearing on Jesus' position.

      Delete
    2. In Matthew's gospel, 5:32, there is the "...except for unchastity" exception, which seems to say that infidelity is a reason for divorce.

      Delete
    3. I have neither time or energy to comment on this, but it seems nobody is putting this into the historic cultural context and leaning too much on literal understanding.

      My husband made it through a crisis - thanks be to God. - and now on Monday may see some progress. After getting a pacemaker and a brace he will get to sit in a chair. Although I literally cried for joy at the good medical news today after lots of tests saying he is now unlikely to need a ventilator, and other positive stuff, he is in a deep depression. He is a man I never saw depressed in our 54 years together. So please keep up the prayers.

      Delete
    4. Anne, all I can say is get all the help you can. I'm pretty physically active myself and, if this ever happens to me, I'm not sure how I'd deal with it or if I could. But, being loved has to make a difference. I'm glad things have physically stabilized. People have endured through such losses, I will pray for you both.

      Delete
    5. Anne, thanks for the update, glad to hear that things are going in a better direction. I'm not prone to depression, but I would totally be very depressed going through what your husband is. I will keep praying for him and you.

      Delete
    6. Jack, I’ve been trying to pray the office during the day. But I skip over most of the psalms because they are really depressing and I don’t need that right now! I like compline best.I use an Anglican site because I like the poetry of the language.

      Delete
    7. I like the Nunc Dimitis, the Canticle of Simeon, for a bedtime prayer. Some of the Psalms are depressing (149 and 51 aren't my favorites), but some are uplifting. 117 is one of my favorites. It is also the shortest. It also proves that JS Bach had a sense of humor because he made an 11 page chorale out of it.
      The Book of Common Prayer that I have uses the Coverdale Psalter. I suppose that is what the Anglicans use. It is very poetic.

      Delete
    8. Anne, I am so glad the news is better. I will continue to pray.

      Delete
  4. Anne, some thoughts:

    "He is a man I never saw depressed in our 54 years together."

    While some people are more prone to depression that others, there are many things that bring about depression in normal people as a normal response, e.g., losing a spouse. A friend of mine who has depression found she was unable to grieve over the death of her husband because of the high level of anti-depressive medication she was being given. She concluded she was being over-medicated, and that she needed to grieve for her husband.

    The fact that your husband's condition is permanent does not mean the depression will be permanent. In the meantime. his depression may be a healthy response of his body concentrating its resources on all the tissue repair that is needed. We can hope that after all the healing and the rehabilitation, that his former immunity to depression will resurface.

    "I’m so exhausted already, mentally, physically, and spiritually so I really need prayers."

    That sounds like someone on the road to depression, depression that you might be able to lessen or avoid. Maintain healthy habits of sleep, eating, etc. Use you research habits to keep focused on constructive things for both now and in the future. Recognize your limitations and don't push them. Seek help in terms of books, friends whom you can talk to, and even professional help, perhaps in terms of support groups of people who have been in the same situation. Let other people do some of the work that is needed in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, thanks for those words of wisdom. After reading Anne's comment, I've been concerned about both her and her husband. I am sure I would plunge into depression, too, if I was facing what her husband is facing.

      Delete
    2. I have no advice, only prayers and observations that aren't real insightful. Today is St Adalgott's feast, 1165, Benedictine who cared for the poor and sick. I ask him to help those dealing with the permanently disabled.

      People seem to have to go through the rage, fear, and grief and it's-not-fair stage during a catastrophic health crisis. I get it.

      Health disasters are hard, especially since we live in a nation set up for the young, pretty, and upwardly mobile who still look nice in bike shorts.

      Our faith teaches us that all life is worthy (even if nobody at church really seems to act that way or give a sh*t about us). So at some point, you quit flirting with despair and trolling the Dark Web looking for Black Capsules. And you learn to focus on what parts of your carcass still work and how you might use it to help somebody. It's a daily struggle not to give in. But there is, I hope, dignity and honor in it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jean, for your prayers and words.

      Delete
    4. Thank y you all. Jean, I’m glad to know which saint to add to the team.

      Delete
    5. Our three sons all arrived the day after the accident one went home yesterday, but will be back Sunday . My husbands brother and his wife arrive tomorrow so the other two sons will also go home for a while leaving tomorrow and Saturday. Almost two weeks here and I wouldn’t have made it without them. We are blessed by our sons. But they have jobs and families and need to go home. They may start taking one week turns here after my brother and sister in law leave. It’s possible that my husband may be moving to a rehab hospital then. So many unknowns right now.

      Delete
    6. Anne, I'm glad you have family with you.

      Delete
    7. I'm also glad to see Jean popping in. And Anne, also glad that your family is rallying around at this time.

      Delete
    8. Jean, I do pray, and I pray for you every day for the challenges you are facing. I pray for all here, including spouses and significant others. Today is my eldest sons birthday. He was born 45 years ago in the hospital where my husband is in the Shock Trauma ICU.

      Delete
    9. Brings me comfort to know your family is gathering around you and your husband, Anne. My cousins family down in Florida appreciated my flying down for my beautiful goddaughter's funeral. I just had to be there with them. Glad you have the support.

      Delete
    10. Anne, happy birthday to your son! He is the same age as my younger son, whose birthday was the last day of August.

      Delete
    11. Thanks, all. I pop in to see what you are talking about on days when the fog lifts enough for me to concentrate, and I was sorry to hear about Anne's husband. It must be very hard to have life change so fast all at once.

      Delete
  5. Emergency prayers - my husband will have a test in a couple of hours that if he fails will have devastating consequences for his quality of life. We can deal with a wheel’chair but want to avoid a nursing home. I’m so frightened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine. I’m happy to report that he passed the swallow test today so he won’t have to have a feeding tube his whole life. Thank you all.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad he passed the swallow test, that would be a biggie for quality of life.

      Delete
    3. Yes - great news.He had not passed the first one. He had a real food meal last night but only soft food like applesauce of course. Now the big challenge is his depression

      Delete